First Lady

First Lady (Josh Ziregbe)
Previous Episode
Episode I - The Prince

It is the First Lady's duty to handle these affairs. All royal events need her attention no matter how trivial. Still, this is the lowest possible thing she can remember ever having to do. 

"Nkechi! Come here and adjust my gele! Tell Fatima to clean the lights properly, there must be no dust! What is this girl's name again, Modupe! Modupe!! My guests must not be hungry, why is the food not ready, whatever the problem is, fix it!"

Overseeing the funeral of a nameless 3rd cousin, or is it a 4th cousin, she has never seen before. As far as the First Lady is concerned, the girl might as well have been a bread seller. The dead thing wasn’t even a pure-blood, disgusting. She ordinarily would have left this task to the royal events planner but this was considered a duty and the First Lady takes her duties very seriously.

It has become 'normal' for the lower royal families to marry outside the royal gene-pool, shameful. So you can imagine the goosebumps the First Lady had last week knowing this dead girl was the low life her first daughter, Omote Ovie, the Princess, was going to have to absorb.

Still, no expense is to be spared. A royal event is a royal event and the royal coffers must bleed. Even if for an extended, mixed-blood, poverty striken relative, Castle Haso Rock must always be seen to be grandeuse and beyond compare. "At least the girl had some power over the commoners", another High-Society lady reminded her to placate her.

The First Lady is trying to clear her mind as she passed by me, curious as to what I am doing here and if I am real. I'm a human and it appears the people of this world know we exist despite humans not having any idea where this world is, or that it even exists.

A higher power must be orchestrating these events I thought to myself because I fall asleep in my bed but then wake up to this submerged world. Like with the Princess last week, I am now in the mind of the First Lady and the First Lady is in mine. 

She can feel my distaste for her ways, and I feel the weight on her shoulders. It is far heavier than I thought. It is crushing my knees from the inside but I am not even allowed the luxury of bulking under the weight.

She has given up on doing the things she, herself wants to do because there is always one royal event or another. There are a million things to be done to ensure that life in this submerged world is decent and civilised. Somebody had to do it and it definitely can not be left to unrefined filth; only a royal fist can handle this.

She begins:

"Welcome, please poor people are not permitted here. If you only came across money recently, leave, your mates are not here. This is a gathering for royalty and old-money."

She continued,

"To those of you who are only here because of marriage, let's get things straight, everything and everyone is beneath, no kind of assurance from any prince or princess can bring you to be my foot-stool.

Police! Check Every last guest for invitation  I don't want any filthy beggars in my house!"



Comments

Post a Comment