Don't Rock The Cradle - Episode I

Don't Rock The Cradle (Josh Ziregbe)
What day is it today? Is it the first day of the week, the second, third or even the fourth? What does it matter, it's just another day. Eke, Olie, Afor and Nkwo, these are our days. Today I have gone to the old lady at the edge of the village to request for something and she has given it to me. In this old town the market day falls on Afor and this is the only day that the old lady can be seen. She is its custodian, the protector, a guide to whoever wishes to possess it, but it is not hers to keep. Today is the third day and I have fulfilled the first requirement to receive what I have asked for - forgoing three consecutive markets, in other words - going without food for nine days.

Life is interesting. There is always something mysterious hiding around the corner, like a cocooned caterpillar on the underside of a leaf, there is so much hidden in plain sight. So many things are difficult to explain, for instance, it is rumored that there is an egg that has powers beyond what can rationally be comprehended. It is said that on it's own it does nothing but when put in water, it changes everything. It is said that the egg is a gift left behind by a stranger, generations ago to the founder of our village for his kindness. Rumour has it that any water the egg rests in can turn barren lands fertile, bring a man back from the brink of death and even make a woman more beautiful than she could have ever imagined.

My name is Omalicha and my father is dead. That is why I have shaved my head, it is my culture. I am his only daughter, only child, and my mother died giving birth to me. My father loved me and I loved him more than life itself, this is why I have made the journey to see the old lady. When she handed it over to me she smiled and said, "May the spirits guide you." Then she turned her back to me and said, "Don't Rock The Cradle."

I made a quick stop by the stream and now I'm on my way back to our cold, lonely and empty hut; my father was a farmer and we lived a simple life on our small farm. We were not rich but we had each other and that was enough.

Out of nowhere, Chidinma and her crew of ugly ass-kissers block my path, her father is the third wealthiest man in the town but you would think he was the richest the way she behaves.

Chidinma: Where is it?

Omalicha: What? Please get out of my face!

Ass Kissers: See this idiot o! *mstcheeeeew*

Chidinma: I know you have it! Give it to me!! I want to be the most beautiful girl in this town!

Omalicha: See! Leave me alone!! I don't know what you are talking about, I'm going home!

Ass Kissers: Let's collect her water-pot, maybe she's hiding it inside.

Omalicha: Don't come near me o, I will break this pot on somebody's head o!

Chidinma: Yes! grab it!!

I had heard tales and I am willing to sacrifice everything to bring him back. Nothing in this life goes for nothing and for what I am planning to do, a price will be paid. What it is, I will never know until it is paid. One thing is sure, however, if what is in my water-pot breaks, I will die immediately! The old lady's warning means that the penalty for breaking it is death!

I'm in trouble.



Next

Comments

  1. Pls where can I read the manga (Don't rock the cradle) and how can I support this project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, we're happy you like our story! You can catch more episodes here on our blog.

      The best support is to keep sharing our posts! 😀😀

      Delete

Post a Comment