Soi Fon and The Fufu Bender

Soi Fon and The Fufu Bender  (Joshua Ziregbe)

The Fufu Bender.
That's what they called me after years of turning down several offers to join countless covens. I was a witch, but I was special, I had the magic in my bones and I could harness it at will. I never needed a coven to draw power and never needed their support or mentorship.
When I came of age my powers came to me intuitively, they literally just came like puberty. In my family there is a bloodline passed from generation to generation but only one person per living generation can possess that bloodline and when the one with the blood dies s/he waits till a child with the gift is born to properly guide the new witch before departing. It’s a little complicated.
My guide was my grandmother, she taught me everything she knew and then left only to return in moments of extreme duress, or at least that's what she said but I've never seen her again. Even when the witches, out of jealousy and envy, killed my husband Tunde, she didn’t come. He was the most amazing man, flawed in many ways that I was never able to see, sometimes I think he cast a spell on me. He was so handsome and strong that I always felt like a little girl whenever I was around him yet whenever he was around me there was always a softness that only I seemed to be able to draw. 
I would spend so much time in the kitchen cooking, humming, singing. We got married recently and I was still so excited about the bond we shared that when I cooked I always unconsciously used magic, I guess that's where the nickname came from. They were trying to mock me you see, they only understand magic to be for more than everyday life. I, on the other hand, use my powers for my own daily benefits: I light my stove, pound my fufu and on most days, simply dance around in the kitchen and the cooking and cleaning happen to the rhythm of my mood, magic. I don't even remember the last time I used a spell, everything within my range is within my control just as if it's all an extension of my body. It was fun cooking for Tunde, every day and it was fun watching him enjoy the food and letting him love me.
But he is dead now and the only pleasure to be had is in revenge. They wanted me to be part of this world? I wiped out every member of the coven that was involved in killing Tunde but that was not enough, I will eliminate all the witches and wizards that I can find and today like yesterday is reconnaissance, I have found another coven to cleanse from the face of this earth.
Hate, Anger, Fear – Love, Joy, Hope. 
When love, joy and hope have been taken away from you, all that is left is a handful of powerful emotions. For me I chose hate. Soi Fon over there chose anger.



Next

Comments